view the virtual ribbon around the earth at planetfesto.org

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

More on the search for the perfect suncreen

I wanted to post an update after I finally tracked down and ordered the UV Natural suncreen so highly recommended by the Environmental Working Group's site. Loads on controvery about it on the net...whether it works well, is too greasy, etc. I bought a large tube (and might have known I was doomed by choosing that size...) and was able to use it for two days before I started to have odd burning, itching sensations all over my face. So much for my skin's appreciation of low-impact ingredients! I want to pass it along to friends to see how they like it. UV Natural's site claims that you need to use VERY LITTLE for it to be highly effective, which is the only way to go unless you want to appear in public as a victim of a hit and run facial lube job.

Just bought JASON's Sunbrella Family 36, and so far so good. A bit on the beach-y side with the smell, but doesn't seem overly greasy, and no allergic reaction so far. It is not as well-rated on the EWG.org site, but was easy to find! I also like the Obagi Nu-Derm Physical UV Block SPF 32, although it is expensive, fussy to find, and does contains nano-particles. (Interesting discussion of the pros and cons of this at http://www.ewg.org/node/22411.

No comments: